Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Marvels

The Marvels

Book talk: A young man survives a shipwreck in 1766 and goes on to create a dynasty of famous actors in London. Another runs away from his boarding school in 1990 to seek out his estranged and eccentric uncle who lives in an even more mysterious house. Their stories, told through pictures and words intertwine in unexpected ways that will leave you flipping pages and looking for clues about how their stories meet.

Rave: This story completely wrecked me. I was so deeply touched by the slowly unraveling story of the uncle and his mysterious house. I was drawn in by wondering how the two stories connected ,and when they finally did, I was not a pretty sight. After reading this, I made a point of visiting the museum that inspired it when I was in London last summer. Going to the museum was a unique and moving experience. This was emphasized by the museum policy against photographs or talking forcing me to experience everything in the moment in a very personal way. The way the first story was told entirely through images was gorgeous and innovative. Honestly I'm getting a bit teary just thinking of it all right now. The whole experience of this book is simply beautiful.

Every book its reader: I'd give this to fans of tear-jerkers, history, and mystery.

Topics and trends: Tear-jerkers, History, Museums, Acting, LGBTQ,

Extras: Of course Brian Selznick made an amazing book trailer, too. Why is he so talented!?



I made this image from one of my favorite quotes in the book and a picture I took in London.


Source: ARC from ALA Annual 2015

The Marvels by Brian Selznick: buy it or check it out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment