Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Dog Called Homeless

A Dog Called Homeless

Book talk:  Cally used to be a real chatterbox, but after she sees her mother's ghost and no one believes her, she decides to stop talking.  What's the point if no one will listen?  Even as she stops, life keeps moving around her.  Her family has to move into a tiny apartment, her best friend betrays her, a neighbor teaches her a new way of talking, and she develops a special bond with a homeless dog.  If she wants to make a difference in their lives, she's going to have to learn how to make her father listen.

Rocks my socks:  I have a soft spot for Irish Wolfhounds, so I naturally enjoyed reading a book that features one so prominently.  I also liked the neighbor character who is blind and deaf and has a lot of spunk and wisdom. Overall this is a sweet, heart-warming story.

Rocks in my socks: I'm more inclined to shelve this under fantasy than realistic fiction.  The world they live in where everything miraculously works out bears little resemblance to reality, even leaving aside the bits that involve the mother's ghost.  Additionally, while I love Irish Wolfounds I don't think the book accurately portrays or takes into account the major time and financial commitment required to own one.  Adopting one should not be a surprise and is not a decision to be taken lightly.

Every book its reader:  I'd give this to students in 3rd to 5th grade looking for a sweet story.  Dog-lovers will enjoy the book in particular.

Extras:

Sarah Lean has a website

Here's some more info on Irish Wolfhounds for the curious:




Source: copy provided as part of faculty & staff book club

A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean: buy it or check it out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment