Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks



Book talk:  Have you ever been told that you couldn't do something because you were too short or too young or too shy?  Did you take no for an answer--or did you fight back?  Frankie is used to being underestimated.  Most people look at her and see a naive girl, her father's 'bunny rabbit.'  So when she wants to join the top-secret (and all-boys) Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, it's not surprising that they won't let her in.  But Frankie has more intelligence, gumption, and perseverance than they realize, and she's determined to use it to get herself into the Order whether they let her in or not.

Rocks my socks:  I read this as part of the YALSA hub reading challenge.  It's not a book that I would usually pick up, so I was surprised by how much I loved it!  Frankie is a strong character and as a small, innocent-looking girl I certainly took extra pleasure in watching her triumph over everyone who underestimated her.  I found the relationship dynamics in the novel particularly unexpected and interesting.  My favorite part was that Lockhart took the typical secret society storyline and turned it into something more by making the pranks protests. Both the pranks and the novel are progressive messages wrapped in a sweet candy coating, and I savored them.

Rocks in my socks:  none

Every book its reader:  I'd give this to anyone looking for a school story with a strong female lead.  Fans of secret society and private school stories will particularly enjoy this novel.  7th grade and up.

Extras:  

The author has a site with a page for the book, an FAQ, and tons of fun extras.

You can find a lot of fan-made trailers for the book.  I liked this one in particular:


Source: ebook from the public library

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart: buy it or check it out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment