Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wedding Napkins

When my friends got married this summer, I wanted to make them something extra-special and unique.  They have four adorable pet chinchillas and are very fond of squirrels, so I decided to make them these napkins:

To make them I used a sketch by my uber talented friend Amber as a template for the squirrels and a  random image I found on Google for the chinchillas.  I was visiting my friends in Scotland when I made them so I went to a local charity shop and bought clothes off the 50 pence rack in the colors I needed and then cut them  up.  I traced the designs onto freezer paper, which I ironed onto the fabric.  I ironed fusible interfacing onto the other side and cut out the sandwich to make my appliques.  I ironed the appliques onto the napkins and did some extra stitching for details.  



















The backs of my stitches looked messy so I embroidered their names onto more fabric scraps which I appliqued on using more fusible interfacing to cover it up.  I think they turned out pretty well, although it's the first time I made anything like this so I'm nervous about how it will hold up over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment