Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Witch Bag

I embellished this tote for my mom for mother's day this year.  This may seem like an odd theme for mother's day, but my mom is known for her witch impressions and enjoys cultivating the 'miss witch' image so I knew she'd enjoy it.  (see the parody song she wrote last year for Halloween)



I took an old tote I had that was sturdy, but I didn't like the design of.  I looked up some images of black cats and witches online, then I cut up some left over felt and some old clothes to make appliques, which I sewed on either side.


I also embroidered a quote from Roald Dahl's The Witches around the head: “I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--and here comes the big ‘but’--it is not impossible."




I did the embroidery freehand, and I think it turned out pretty well considering how awful my handwriting is even with a pencil.  At any rate, my mother liked it--she is, after all, my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment